San Diego, Calif.–As the “Occupy Wall Street Movement” spread to California, cities and universities began to experience the impact of the movement. In October 2011, the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) began a review to determine the currency of the 2003 Crowd Management and Civil Disobedience Guidelines. On December 12, 2011, POST concluded there was the need to expand resources and training to address new and different strategies being employed by participants of the movement.
During January 2012, POST received correspondence from the Governor regarding the need for law enforcement training in crowd management. Consistent with the earlier planning and the importance placed on this issue by the Administration, POST scheduled the “2012, Crowd Management Summit” in San Diego, California.
The Summit is designed to update law enforcement leadership regarding new strategies and practices being employed by the “Occupy Movement”, examine responses of law enforcement to these demonstrations, highlight “best” practices, and reinforce the importance of the First and Forth Amendments of the United States Constitution. The Summit also emphasis awareness and understanding of the roll of law enforcement in managing subjects that includes:
- Past, present, and future crowd management challenges and strategic solutions;
- Policy consideration of crowd management faced by executives;
- Impact of technology involving the use of social and other media;
- Criminal and civil perspectives related to the management of crowds;
- Mutual Aid issues from the city, county, and Cal EMA perspective; and
- Presentation of the revised POST Crowd Management Guidelines.
Questions regarding this Summit should be directed to Senior Consultant, Charles Evans, Executive Office, by email at Charles.Evans@post.ca.gov or office telephone number (916) 227-2085, or cellular number (916) 215-4432.
Sponsored ContentAdvertise Here
Blu Armor Safety Stackhttp://bluarmor.com
This Safety Stack contains Blu Armor ACTIVE, FOCUS & REST. Get Yours Now!